DewdRock

This blog is a space for me to get my ideas out there. Hopefully, some who may wonder across this space, will find my ideas interesting and I would love nothing more than to get feedback and create a forum for discussion.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Taken' a break

So schools out for the summer and I don't have any full time employment until June. To take advantage of this break between school and work I've decided to do something I haven't done in over ten years, go up to my family cottage.

My father and his girlfriend are going up for two weeks in late May, but as soon as I started to think about spending two weeks there my stomach started to tighten and my heart race, I just couldn't fathom spending two weeks out of the city. And it's not just that I would miss city life, bars and friends. It's that the thought of being completely incommunicado for two weeks scares the shit out of me.


I should take this time to talk a little bit about my cottage or camp as it is called in those parts. It is 12 hours north of Toronto on an little island in the middle of a lake (the closest town is circled on the map) . It has no electricity, no running water and no bathrooms. There is also no telephone, newspapers, television, radio or any other way to communicate with the outside world. There are no other camps close to ours and the only people you see are the ones who own the Lodge, who we would only see upon departure or arrival and the occasional fishermen. Literally another 9/11 could happen and we would not know about it.

All in all though, I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait to be back on that lake, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, hearing the loon call for the first time in 14 years! Sitting back and disconnecting myself will be hard, but it will be good for me. I think, however, that I'm only going to commit to a week for now, which means taking the train home. If it goes well, then maybe next year I will go for two. For now, though, this city girl needs a slow start.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In May?

Halcyon July in Algoma, is the poem by Christopher Dewdney (your uncle, I assume):

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/people/poet/poem-of-the-week/poems-e.htm?param=41

July, I can see. May???

4:26 a.m.  
Blogger Liz said...

Yes, it might be a little cold, I'm just hoping it won't be too cold.

11:11 a.m.  
Blogger Liz said...

Oh, and yes, Christopher Dewdney is my uncle.

8:58 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home