DewdRock

This blog is a space for me to get my ideas out there. Hopefully, some who may wonder across this space, will find my ideas interesting and I would love nothing more than to get feedback and create a forum for discussion.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Advertising: Offensive to men?

I often wonder if men are as offended by "lifestyle" advertising as I, as a woman, am.

I just saw an ad for Swiss Chalet in which the mother, just returning from a trip of some sort, asks her two children what they ate while she was away. They responded by saying that they ate great food, inplying that their father is perfectly competent. Of course in the end it turns out that the kids were just eating at Swiss Chalet, so dad is not so competent after all.

At first I find this, as I have my whole life, to be offensive to me as a woman. It firmly implies that in the perfect two parent (that is a man and a women by the way, never a family with two moms or two dads) family, the women does all the housework, rearing of children, cooking, etc. etc. As horribly opressive as this is to me, it must also be offensive to men. Ads like these portray men as being completly incompetent as fathers or partners in an equal marriage. It is horrible and if I were a man I would be just as offended as I am as a women.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home