DewdRock

This blog is a space for me to get my ideas out there. Hopefully, some who may wonder across this space, will find my ideas interesting and I would love nothing more than to get feedback and create a forum for discussion.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

J'aime ma bicyclette

Well it hasn't been a particularity long or hard winter, but still it is over and I am happy. The best thing about spring, for me, is that I finally get to say goodbye to public transit for eight long months. That's right time to bring out the bike again. Unfortunately for me, my bike has been out of commission since November :( and like I already said it has been a mild winter and I probably could have been riding for a good chunk of it. I was going to wait for my tax refund to get my bike fixed, as I'm a student and poor, but the recent teacher strike by my profs allowed me to do some extra work. Sooooo . . . My bike is fixed!!! I have yet to pick it up though so I will have to travel VIA public transit for a while longer.

Don't fence me in

Taking the subway this morning, even though it is a beautiful day, reminded me of why I love biking so much. Being trapped underground when I know that the sun is shining aboveground is my idea of torture. I also hate the idea of sitting, waiting and giving someone else control over my journey. On my bike I can change up my route, giving me variety and allowing me to get to know my city outside of it's dark tunnels. I also love that the very nature of riding a bike is social. Unlike driving a car, where your boxed in, on a bike there is opportunity to interact with others. I can't tell you how many times I've been out on my bike and someone has stopped me to compliment my helmet. Or how many times I've rolled my eyes with fellow cyclists at the inconsiderate things that drivers do. Yes, you can talk to people on the TTC and yes it is something that I encourage. But cyclists in Toronto tend to have a solidarity and tend to be very friendly to other cyclists. I'm not saying that I would instantly get along with someone just because they happen to ride a bike, but cyclists will always have one fundamental point on which they can unite and that is, that they all have a love for those two wheeled, self propelled and, dare I say, socially progressive things we call bicycles.

Update: I got my bike back yesterday, Thursday. The ride to school was GLOR-I-OUS! It was sunny but cool, the birds were chirping and traffic was light so I made great time. The ride home was not as great, shortly after I left school it started drizzling, traffic along Bloor was a nightmare (come on Tooker Bike Path) and then, about 10 meters from my house I got a flat. I swear the amount of flat tires I get, I think it's all the broken glass in Parkdale. No matter though, the endorphins are still a-flowing, I'll go get the flat fixed tomorrow and be back out there in no time.

2 Comments:

Blogger The JF said...

I hate to nitpick, but bicyclette is feminine so it's "J'aime ma bicyclette"

But you could also say "J'aime mon vélo"

11:24 p.m.  
Blogger Liz said...

So noted and edited.

Mercie.

(No I do not speak french, why do you ask?)

12:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home